BOC @ JAXX/NIGHT OF THE HUGE GUITARIST

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Thu Oct 26 16:01:00 EDT 1995

> As for Lips yeah that was really a
suprise.  Don't know what made them decide to do it but it was definitely
spur of the moment.  Eric had to reference the lyrics from the monitor in
front of him.

>Well, couldn't have been TOO spur of the moment if they had the lyrics
>there!  Actually, according the the review at Cyberbaron's web page, the
>band had gotten lots of on-line requests to do this one so they added it
>to the set.

Well the lyrics aren't that detailed and if they had been practicing it for
a while I'd imagine he wouldn't have too much trouble doing them.  Now if
only I could see them when they do Tatoo Vampire, Golden Age and Divine
Wind.  One of these days I will have heard them do live all of the songs I
ever wanted.

>How about a big BOC-L push for bringing back the Subhuman?

Don't know if Bloom will listen to alot input from BOC-L  ;-)
Seriously though, there are ALOT of old BOC tunes that I wouldn't mind
seeing BOC do live - some that probably may not have ever been done
live.  The band has such a rich catalog of material that they could
perform if they decided to work it up - not to mention that there's a
fair amount of new stuff (or at least unreleased) that could be performed.

>Yeah I know but ME262 is very nostalgic for me

>Gee, one of the knocks about BOC is their focus on the nostalgic and
>here you go getting all nostalgic here -- ain't you the guy that wanted
>them to do different stuff, maybe even in the "alternative" vein?  ;-)

Alternative,? Moi? Never!  I would like to see them do more accoustical
numbers though.  Twas looking forward to hearing In Thee done the way its
been described.  Unfortunatley the  guitars never made it to the show thus
they kept the format  but used the electric ones.  It was a pretty
interesting rendition.  Quite good to IMO.

>Godzilla really didn't
get a major reaction out of the crowd.  Probably way too many BOC veteran
fans who have had their fill of the song.

>Well, every BOC show I've been at (including one this year, and one last
>year), 'Zilla gets a MAJOR reaction from the crowd -- quite frankly,
>when I saw 'em last year, the band could've just played and let the
>audience sing the song, 'cuz I think they drowned out the band anyway.
>And, as predictable as it is, and as much as I personally want other
>material from the band, I was swept up in the moment and singing right
>along, pumping my fist in the air - the whole 9 yards.

Don't get me wrong the reaction to the song was pretty good but I've seen
stronger.  Again I think there were a lot of veterans there who weren't as
enthused hearing Zilla, me being one of them.

>Nope, I think you'd find more fans in the crowd disappointed not to hear
>"The Big 3" than you might think.

Oh I would agree with you on that 100%.  Its probably damn near impossible
to drop these from the show.  Reason being they are the bands 3 most
identifiable songs, not the best mind you, but easily the most recognizable
to the general public.  Look at all the compilations out there.  Pretty hard
to find a comp, containg some BOC thats not Reaper, Burnin or Zilla.  I'm
sure there must be some somewhere out there, I've never seen one.

> Seriously, they really should take one last shot at putting these on disc
even if they have to do it themselves.

>Well, I hope it isn't a "last shot", but I know what you mean.  I do
>think, however, that something will happen (hey, perhaps if things go
>well for Sony on the nostalgia bit, they'll work something out for the
>new stuff) - presumably alot of the music is recorded, and I think that
>it will come out in some form next year.  I don't have any "insider
>information" - I just have a hunch.

Do the gut checks usually come true John, I hope so.

>BTW which version do you prefer John, I vote for Al.

>Well, I've grown very accustomed to Eric's version of "Cities on Flame"
>since by the time I first saw BOC live, Albert was out of the band (which
>is too bad, 'cuz I probably had one shot to see them on the "Black and
>Blue" tour, but couldn't go).  But I do like Albert's vocals on the song
>as well, and his "multi-cultural" version is great.  The versions I've
>heard of both Joe and Buck singing this song were on tape and not live,
>so perhaps I would be more enthusiastic about them if I saw them live.
>Neither was bad, but seemed to lack the proper energy.  The thing
>about "Cities on Flame" that Albert so necessarily provided for me,
>however, was the DRUMS - the whole real hook of that song for me was
>always that "Bum bum ba BUM" on the bass drum in-between the guitar
>lines.  Last time I saw BOC live (the day after I got to see the Brain
>Surgeons do it), I was disappointed to see that Chuck Burgi had completely
>eliminated that bit from the song.  Albert may not be known these days
>as one of the top drummers in rock, but his sense of rhythm always has
>impressed me -- often subtle, but rich in variety and complexity, and
>always blending nicely with what the song demands.

>John

Al's version is special to me.  Its like Hot Rails on ETL Eric just doesn't
quite sound right doing it.
Its not that he sounds bad or anything I just love the Bouchard vocals
versions.  In regards to Chuck Burgi last year I thought he and John Rodgers
were pretty good.  This year I would say that Danny and John worked much
better.

AB