BOC: online chats/radio alert!!

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Fri Oct 27 09:46:35 EDT 1995

Rob Maerz writes:

> >Amidst a distasteful plug for AOL and Prodigy, Rob Maerz writes:
>
> would a tasteful plug say that AOL and Prodigy suck?

No.  People can lavish their money however they choose.  The distasteful
thing about it was the fact it appeared on BOC-L at all.

> >Paul "happy with his local $8.50/month no-hourly-charge ISP" Mather
>
> I'm glad you're happy...I guess we're all happy as a matter of fact, eh?

Actually, I lied.  I get my dial-in account paid for me.  But that is what
the local ISP charges. ;-)

> I dunno what constitutes an "official" wav file...I can make a wav file w/ no
> prob using the Sound Blaster wav studio and the CDROM drive...just pick your
> fave BOC soundbyte, record, edit and save...

Well, what I was really asking was what would be the content of these .WAV
files.  Would any of them be "unreleased material" provided by the band?
But, from what you say, it seems they will just be clips snarfed from
extant CDs.

Btw, I hope AOL and Prodigy folks do the maths on this one.  At
$10/hour or whatever connect charge, it'd probably be cheaper just to
buy the official CD than to download one or two songs worth.  (For
example, a CD-quality .WAV file of just the guitar solo [~25 seconds]
from "Stones In My Passway" from _Trepanation_ is almost 1MB in size.
That would take about 15 minutes [=$2.50] to download using a 14.4
modem; more if, like in my case, the local AOL access point supports
only up to 2400 baud [extending the download time to over an hour, or
>$10 for this particular snippet].)  You'd also have the advantage of
being on far less shaky ground, copyright wise...

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: The Smashing Pumpkins, _Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.