Misunderstood

Robert Kohl rkohl at STATE.DE.US
Fri Oct 27 15:15:11 EDT 1995

First of all, I apparently have been misunderstood by some regarding my BOC
comments about their possible motivation.  If you re-read my posting, I argue
that the band did the small clubs more to make a living (i.e.-what they can
make the most money at) than for the love of performing.  I didn't say that
they didn't like what they were doing for a living (which they're excellent
at, BTW), just that as a consumer I don't like it.  But hey, if they can make
alot of money, more power to them!  I wish them immense wealth.  Part of it
will be my money :-) since I will continue to support them.

To put it another way, a "starving artist" will continue to perform for the
love of performing.  I remember a time when BOC had pyrotechnics, a huge
Zilla behind the stage.....a time when they seemed more passionate than
wealthy....and a time when, musically speaking, they kicked my ass and I
liked it.  This is based on seeing them outdoors in 1982 and again, in a
club, around 1990.  The contrast was striking....and disturbing.

Perhaps the pendulum of passion for the music has swung the other way now, I
wouldn't know because its been 5 years since I saw them.  But I'll find out
next month when I see them again, and maybe I'll change my opinion.

One final point.  For Pete's sake, I wish that folks would stop
misinterpreting a little criticism as hatred for the band.  In a previous
post someone stole a line that I thought I made up.  Its true: SOMETIMES, THE
ONES WE LOVE THE MOST ARE THE ONES WE CRITICIZE THE MOST.  Its only because
we want the best for them.   Of all the discussion groups I could have
joined, I chose one about BOC.  Doesn't that say anything?  Fer cryin' out
loud, does a person have to prove their fondness for a band to other members
before saying something critical?  Hell, my comments weren't even negative!
I was just expressing my opinion and brooding over times gone by.  Some
people really need to lighten up.

That's my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

-Dr. Bob
rkohl at state.de.us