AOL debate-Things unsaid

Robert Kohl rkohl at STATE.DE.US
Mon Oct 30 07:55:46 EST 1995

My $.02 on the AOL vs. others debate:

First of all, there are probably other folks like me who don't have a choice.
My only access to the internet is from work.  Therefore, I don't have a
choice of lists to which I can subscribe.  Consequently, I couldn't
participate in the AOL forum even if I wanted to.  I would be interested to
know how many other people are in this situation.  My only option is BOC-L
(and I certainly don't mind), and I'd imagine that there are alot of others
in the same boat.  My point is, I think there may be a good percentage of
list subscribers that don't have a choice of which list to participate in,
and that should NOT be mistaken for a knock against AOL or any other service,
for that matter.

Secondly, I find it difficult to believe that anyone who has been a public
figure for so many years hasn't built up a thick skin against the small
minority of imbeciles who just rag and rag in a non-constructive manner.
There's going to be that sort of thing in any group, and it shouldn't reflect
upon the rest of the group who may criticize constructively.  Also, if I were
a commercial entity, I would certainly be interested in what people were
saying about me if for nothing else but curiosity.  How often does a business
entity (such as one of the greatest rock bands of all time) get the
opportunity for instant feedback?  Not often.  If it were me, I'd be counting
my blessings.

In conclusion, then, it seems to me that if a business entity chooses not to
lurk on any one particular list that relates to them, they are missing
feedback from the fans who are stuck on that list with no other options.
That's fine, but they should not think that people are dissin' them by being
on that list anyway.

Just one more thought, if I were a band member and read some of the posts
(including ones I've done in the past), I'd be ROTFLMAO.  Can you imagine
someone speculating on the motivation behind your work, etc.?  Funny stuff.

-Dr. Bob
rkohl at state.de.us