HW: new album out!

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Oct 30 14:15:27 EST 1995

        Well, I saw it for 11 quid, and figured that was probably
better than waiting for Griffin to release it, have someone in the
States pick it up for me, and air mail it over, so I got it.

        It is not the greatest HW album ever, but who is surprised
by this?
        On the other hand, it was rather better than I'd expected, so
I give it the thumbs up.  On first listen there are some good blang-oid
tracks, the mix is not at all bad, the spacey instrumentals seem more
interesting than on _ET_, and there are some decent bits of guitar from
Dave, and some keen bass soloing from Alan (Richard is consistantly
cool as usual); and I thought Ron's contribution was pretty good too.
        However, take note:  that cool wah guitar playing in Death
Trap was from "Jerry" who played with them this summer but got
sacked/was let go/etc.  Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure I hear Dave
wah-ing a bit here and there himself.

        I'm not sure the rock tracks quite live up to the ones on _ET_,
but we'll see how it goes.  However I thought the ambientoid instrumentals
were better, as I noted above--this may have something to do with the mix,
also noted above, which I think is clearer than some of the previous
releases have been.  There was a lot of musical "haze" on some of the
_ET_ stuff and _IITBOTFTBD_ which is (thankfully) not audible to me on
Alien 4 (or whatever the thing is called ;)

        Liner note error hunters, alert!  On the track listing, "Alien
(I Am)" is spelled "Alein (I Am)", which is probably an error (though
if it isn't, it's rather clever ;)

        Plus, I go the new Ozrics CD as well :) but enough of that for
now ...

Cheers,
Carl