BOC: Symbol

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Mon Oct 30 16:33:00 EST 1995

.

>John

Utterly amazing John.  We live in such a narrow minded world these days.
 I've got a bit of a story from an interview with Doug Pinnick, bassist for
King's X.  Some background, King's X three members are all Christians yet
they do not play what is commonly reffered to as Christian Rock.  There are
some Christian related messages in their music however, it is based on thier
own personal beliefs and not meant to promote any religion.  The guitarist
and drummer both attended divinity school.  Now if you have never heard
their music you would be suprised at the sound, very heavy rock and roll, in
fact Pinnick's bass playing is very similar to Lemmy's.  Anyway, Doug is a
big fan of hard rock in almost any form.  He decided to attend a concert in
Texas featuring such bands as Megadeath, Slaughter, Anthrax and the like.
 Outside the colesium was a young Christian passing out literature asking
people to avoid the concert and the Satanic groups that were playing that
night.  As Doug passed the young man and took a flyer the young man, a
devout follower of Doug's band, recognized him instantly.  He thought that
Doug was comming out to join the protest and was flabbergasted to learn that
he was actually there to see the concert since he really liked Megadeath.
 Well needless to say the young man accused and described Doug in ways which
could not necesarrily be described as Christian like.  Doug responded that
music is only music and is not always indicative of the personal beliefs and
attitudes of those who play it.

To say BOC's symbol suggests that it questions whether Christ died for our
sins sounds to me to be  the delusions of a mind that spent way too much
time immersed in chemical stimulants.  Perhaps this former music world man
did not find enough success and is therefore damming an entire industry for
his personal failures.  Whether a bands music emphasises positve (Triumph,
King's X) or negative images (Megadeath, Jackyl) this should not be
interpreted as the personal beliefs of the artist.  After all several former
gospel singers have moved to secular music and vice versa.  It is in my
opinion doubtful that each of these gospel singers have lost touch with
their personal beliefs.

Hey remeber in California where some teenager's defense in a murder trial
was the backword message appearing at the end of a Judas Priest album.
 Personnaly I cannot imagine how any song could convince someone to do
something that they know isn't right or bad for them.

Amen
AB