BOC: Symbol

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Mon Oct 30 18:53:35 EST 1995

BREVARD Adrian R. writes:

>                         Whether a bands music emphasises positve (Triumph,
> King's X) or negative images (Megadeath, Jackyl) this should not be
> interpreted as the personal beliefs of the artist.

I remember an interview with Tom Arraya (sp?) of Slayer in which he said
that thrash metal was just a job for him, and that personally he liked
nothing better than to curl up with a nice bit of Sam Cooke.  The satanic
stuff---especially the hyped-up stuff on _Reign in Blood_---was to stoke
up controversy and attract publicity.  He wasn't "into" thrash metal or
satanism himself.  It was all rather refreshing to hear, actually.

Cheers,

Paul.