BOC: Symbol

Skip Galvin skipg at COMPUMEDIA.COM
Tue Oct 31 02:54:53 EST 1995

On Mon, 30 Oct 1995, John A Swartz wrote:

> Was at my local Newbury Comics during lunch, picking up a few CDs, and I
> saw this book called "From Rock to Rock" -- not knowing what it was about,
> I thumbed through it to see if BOC might be in it.  Well, it turns out
> this book was written by one of these people that thinks all rock music is
> from Satan - the author even claims to have spent 11 years in the rock
> music business, touring with bands, listening to albums, etc.  Well, for
> someone who claims to know what he's talking about, I had to laugh when
> I found a section about the meaning of various symbols used in rock and
> roll.  He shows a picture of the BOC symbol, calling it "The Satanic
> Cross", and claims that it is used by *several* rock groups, most notably
> BOC -- and, get this:  the author claims that the upside-down question
> mark under a cross is supposed to mockingly ask the question, "Did Jesus
> really die for our sins?"
>
> At first, I laughed at the utter stupidity of this, and then I stopped.
> As a Christian, I was suddenly very angry that someone who claims to know
> what he's talking about could make such an idiotic and dammning statement
> about something he obviously really knows nothing about - and in the
> process insult all Christians.  I guess in his eyes *I'm* going to hell . . .
>
> John

 . .
It is funny because alot of these people don't even have a sketchy
understanding of the subject matter.  Note: Sometimes if you listen
closely you might even hear some irony.  And  then they just throw around
third hand information as fact. "The Blue Oyster Cult, well known for
their ceremonies of sacrifice backstage blah, blah, blah"   And then write a
book and pass this close-minded  mentality  to their kids.  I  think
these types are threatened by the reckless abandon of  rock.  And BOC
kind of catches them by surprise.   The music may sound pleasant and
agreeable until the lyrics kick in.

--SG