HW reference in Spin magazine

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Tue Oct 31 13:46:02 EST 1995

> Does Dave's amp go up to eleven?
> Enquiring minds want to know ;-)

        To comment on a spurious question ... :) ... if it does, he
doesn't set it there!  I think he'd get a better guitar sound, especially
in the studio, if he'd crank it up a bit more.  In my relatively
inexpert opinion, it really helps the guitar sound to "move some air",
ie. have a solid physical effect on the microphone diaphram.  It seems
to me like you can tell when the guitars have been recorded _loud_ and
when they haven't on lots of albums.
        I'm sure clever dicking around in the studio can make nearly
anything sound huge, but it probably helps to just make it huge to
begin with, and IMHO, Brock should crank it up more! :)
        (He should be louder in the mix at shows as well, though as
I noted previously, he was more audible in London than on the US tour,
and more audible on _Alien 4_ than on other recent HW ...

Cheers,
Carl