BOC CDs, was Re: BOC We gotta get out....

Matthew Braun mbraun at HYDRA.URBANA.MCD.MOT.COM
Thu Sep 7 11:06:03 EDT 1995

John A. Swartz writes:
>[...] but my understanding is that all of Columbia's BOC
>CD releases where NOT re-mastered in any way - so while I can't say for
>sure that the CDs might sound worse, they probably sound no better than
>a brand new piece of vinyl.  Hopefully, WOTT will at least offer us that.

Actually, they will sound worse than the LP if no re-mastering was done.

I believe that "RIAA equalization" (EQ needed to compensate for vinyl's
abilities to reproduce certain freq's better than others) is applied to the
LP master tape--not built into the cutter.  As such, any CD made from a
vinyl master tape will sound weird because it will be produced with an EQ
that is transparent on vinyl, but audible on CD.

                                        m@

+-mbraun at urbana.mcd.mot.com-+--Experiments that failed too many times -----BOC+
|   Matt Braun -- Motorola, |    Transformations that were too hard to find   |
|  Urbana, IL Design Centre | Poison's in my bloodstream, poison's in my pride|
+---Special Projects Team---+--- I'm after rebellion, I'll settle for lies----+