HW: Review - Astounding

Andrew Gilham emphyrio at CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK
Fri Sep 8 00:29:00 EDT 1995

> Then may I assume that J. Mandelkav was just some weird pseudonym for
> Nik?
>
> Damon

Jamie Mandelkau (a real person) was associated with the Deviants (and
thus an old colleague of Paul Rudolph's).  He co-wrote "Jamie's Song" on
the Deviants' _Disposable_.  BUT I've always understood that Turner did
co-write "Kadu Flyer", and it was some legal deal that meant he borrowed
Jamie's name on the credits (a la "Silver Machine" as by
Calvert/MacManus).  I think different pressings may have different
credits for this track.

E.g., on my old vinyl of _Astounding_, KF is credited
Calvert/House/Mandelkau.

However, Nik is credited on the inner sleeve - "Monsieur Nik Turner
presente pour vous...  #1015 SEXSE BEAUCOUP: Ooh... la... la!  It's the
sheath creation that has all Frenchmen frantic!"  Etc, etc...

(Also "PAUL RUDOLPH MANLY STRAP-ON".  And "Doctor Brock's Atomic Pile
Preparations."  And "Simon House School of Music - Play Right Away!"  And
so on...)

- Andy