HW & GONG relations

Douglas B. Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Sun Sep 10 16:20:34 EDT 1995

Olivier Boigey wrote:

>I' m looking for links between these two bands besides the following that I
>remember:

>* They played & were recorded at same festival in June '71: the famous
>Glastonbury gig

...except that the Hawkwind tracks ("Silver Machine"/"Welcome") were
recorded at the Roundhouse feb '72, not at Glastonbury (I read somewhere
that Dave was sick & Tom Crimble of Skin Alley filled in for him at
Glastonbury)

>* Gong's 'Flying Teapot' album is dedicated - among others - to HW
>* Mike Howlett (ex-Gong bassist) played with Nik Turner's Sphinx around '78

... the entire backing band on the 1978 Sphynx LP (Howlett, Steve Hillage,
Tim Blake, Miquette Giraudy) is ex-Gong except for Alan Powell & Morris
Pert.

>* Nik plays on one track of Mother Gong/Gilly Smith album (the 1st?)
>* Bob Calvert adds vocals to the song ' We circle around ' on Gong's '
>Gongmaison ' album from 1989.
>* Not to mention the Tim Blake's achieved arrival in 79
>* In an interview last year near Paris Dave Brock confirmed the good
>relations referencing Gong as a French band he particulary liked (Magma too)

Did he include Heldon? Or Lard Free?

>Now have you tracks of other links and maybe other historic jams maybe...?

* Andy Anderson (HW drummer c.1983) played on 3 of Steve Hillage's solo
albums: _Green_, _Live Herald_, and _Open_.  (He also played on the Cure's
_the Top_ album, which connects HW to the Sex Pistols via the Cure ->
Robert Smith -> Siouxie & the Banshees -> Sid Vicious [Siouxie's original
drummer] -> Sex Pistols).

That's all that I can come up with offhand, anyone else ... ?

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com