Secret Agent = HW: Retread Tracks?

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Wed Sep 13 12:49:40 EDT 1995

> On Wed, 13 Sep 1995, Carl E. Anderson wrote:
CHOMP!

> >         Um, either the first or second, but I'm not sure since I have only
> > the CD version which combines the two early Brock solo albums (minus a
> > track or two).  The song _has_ changed from the earlier form, but its
> > ancestry is pretty clear.
>
> I obviously have been neglecting some aspects of my HW collection for far
> too long then, as I also have the cd, though I've no recollection of a
> track similar to SA...

I am not jumping on Allan here, 'cuz I agree with him...

With all due respect, this is starting to reach a little. On_The_Case and
Secret_Agent deal with the same similar topic (detective in one, secret
agent in another), but the songs aren't the same. Hell, if we are trying
to find common ancestry, just call Brock their pappy and be done with it!
Brock deals with certain, reoccuring topics in his writings; it would
be hard _not_ to find a precious reference/version/lyrical thread, if you
look hard enough. I think Brock likes to expand/expound certain ideas as
they age...

Next thing you know, someone will be comparing I_Robot & Spirit_Of_The_Age
and calling them the same song...

Oh yeah, I don't have Weird 101, so if Nuclear Toy sounded like Nuclear
Drive on that release (or vice versa), I'll buy that explanation. Some
things are just kinda hard to find here in the Southern US...

(grumpy old fart mode OFF)

> In a similar vein, do people generally listen to just one era of HW?
> When I have a deep need to hear HW, it's generally for the '71-75 period,
> sometimes for '76-79, almost never for '80-84, occassionally for '85-'89,
> and often for '90+.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to get at is, are there areas of HW that you too
> neglect?

I tend to blow off the real early releases, but from SR on, I have a
pretty active interest in most all the releases. I tend to steer away
from ZONES and a couple of others from the mid-80's and the material after
ELECTRIC TEPEE does little to warrant excessive "airplay", but other than
that, the rest all spend about equal time on the CD or cassette deck.

      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyratl.ga.pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation, A Siemens-Nixdorf Company
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE, Suite 400
-------mmmmmmm- Atlanta, GA 30342      (404) 845-3404