HW listening Ruts and Bridgette

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Thu Sep 14 10:59:00 EDT 1995

I tend to listen to the stuff from '85 on a lot more than the older stuff.
 Although, it may be due to a mental block that Mike Holmes has helped me
lift.  I'll be off next week so I'll fire up the old stuff again.  I listen
to the Live Chronicles the most of all.  I like a good bit of Space Bandits
too (I duck here).   I do like the atmospheric tunes but they have to have a
strong guitar line or something to anchor them.  One of my biggest
disappointments with HW is that they get into something I really like and
then lose it in the swirl.  The Damnation Alley on _PS_ is a perfect
example.  The 1st 3 minutes or so are great and then it just loses steam and
drifts nowhere.  I have made a tape of bits I like that I play a lot too.
 Things like Jack of Shadows and Uncle Sam's on Mars from the murky era are
there.

I happened to catch a live date where they did all of Space Bandits (slipped
in Snake Dance and Angels of Death along the way).  I had not gotten the
album yet and I was amazed when Bridgette came out with the opening number.
 Last thing I expected from those grizzled, no talent rockers, almost choked
on my cider.  My jaw stayed open from that point on because I was in new
ground most of the night.   She added a whole new dimension with the vocals
and the masked dancing.  I can only hope she drifts in again at some point.
   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Rudy the ferret mage
      \   \