Anothers Name

Martyn White white at BORG.MED.ECU.EDU
Fri Sep 15 13:29:41 EDT 1995

>> >         As I understood it, he left his real girlfriend on
>> > earth to fly a space mission.  Due to the relativistic time dilation
>> > effect which he incurred, she would have been old when he returned
>> > to earth while he would still be the same age.
>>
>> I don't understand this.  Surely, all the girl had to do was wait
>> until she was old enough to sign her own medical consent forms to be
>> frozen?
>
>Yeah, I'd always thought that was the bug in the idea.
>FoFP

        Well, if she was 16 years old at the time of lift off,
she would have 5 years to wait and maybe her love faded.  In
any case, it adds new meaning to the concept "having trouble
maintaining a long distance relationship" :-)
        So it could be a plausible scenario IMO
Also if _he_ really loved her, he would have gone to see her
after touch down even though she would be old and wrinkly.
        Instead, what does he do?  He has an android replica made!

In conclusion, it is my thesis that their young relationship was
based solely on sex and could not stand the test of tImE

yours learnedly

Martyn