Spirit of the Age

Stephen Lindsey stephen at SYSTEM9.UNISYS.COM
Fri Sep 15 15:09:22 EDT 1995

Martyn sez:

>         With the current thread on this song, I went back and
> reread the lyrics and it seems to me:
>
> a) it is written by the starfarer while he is still in space.
> i.e. he says his girlfriend is 60 now and long gone by the time
> he returns to earth.  Hence the android must be on board.
>
> b)  its some of the finest damn lyrics I've ever read.  Inspired

well with all the talk about this I thought it was worth telling those who don't know that there is a spoken word version of this (aka The Starfarers Despatch)
on an early HW bootleg  - Birmingham Kinetic Playground           12/12/71
I believe. This gave me quite a shock when I realised what Bob was reciting,
the sound itsn't too bad as these things go either, well worth hunting down.

CHeers,
Steve L.