Anothers Name

The Great Quail TheQuail at CTHULHU.MICROSERVE.COM
Sat Sep 16 12:52:21 EDT 1995

>Yes, well.   Ahem, anyhow, back to the matter in hand.   After listening
>to that lot, somehow Calvert's line didn't seem so wierd as it might
>have been - but "another's name" is much more reasonable under the
>circumstances I guess - though I'm mildly curious to know where an
>android replica could have been unfaithful if she'd been in space with
>him all this time.    Or  maybe she was a cheap reconstituted model that
>was reverting to past memories from buried cybermemories.

Well . . . . ok, it's like this:

She was too young to be frozen, but he couldn't live without her, so he
had an android replica made. Now, back in those days, many folks used
"android" and "replica" as a synonym for clone, which, of course, it
isn't. But what if there was some cloning and memory transfer involved?
She would have her real memories and personality: otherwise she'd be just
a sex doll.

Aha! But she's been acting up, screaming another's name - the guy she was
*really* fucking when poor Mr. Spaceboy assumed she was so faithful.
(Makes you wonder if she surrepticiously *asked* her dad not to sign the
papers. <Umm. . . spelling, anyone?>)

Man, would *that* be a bummer, or what? Personally, I hate when my
android replicas watch too much Bladerunner. Usually that dicks with
their mind, and I have to scrap the whole batch. (the pun was
intentional, for those in the know. . . .)

The Great Quail                  | TheQuail at cthulhu.microserve.com
riverrun Discordian Society      | AOL: LordArioch
c/o Allen Ruch                   | Sarnath - The Quailspace Web Page:
315 Second Street                | http://www.microserve.com/~thequail
Enola, PA 17025                  |     ** What is FEGMANIA? **

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
mind to correlate all its contents."
                -- H.P. Lovecraft