Bad Gigs?

Colin Shayler etlcnsr at ETLXDMX.ERICSSON.SE
Mon Sep 18 08:30:58 EDT 1995

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm new around here, or at least my virtual self is new to this mailing
> list but I
> thought I'd get involved right away.
>
> > I was talking to one of my mate's flat mates whose a veteran of quite a
> > number of HW gigs, both punter and support, and he was saying how he
> felt
> > that HW tended to be rather hit or miss and that in his experiance it
> tended
> > towards the miss side more oftern then not.  I could think of only one
> bad
> > gig that I have seen (Hemmel Hempstead in 92ish) and that wasn't the
> bands
> > fault.  Just wondered if anyone else had any views on this.
>
> Haven't seen a bad gig for years. When gigs are bad I've found that it's
> not
> usually the fault of the bad - they play well enough most of the time but
> sometimes the whole experience doesn't quite work. I think that's often
> because
> they're playing inappropriate (i.e. too big and half empty) venues, the
> crowd
> is too *passive* (some of the best gigs have been when everyone really
> freaks out),
> there are too many crusties trying to blag the price of a ticket/some
> diesel/a
> new piece of string for their dog on the way in, or (worst of all) you
> get stuck
> next to some nutter who's not recovered from a bad trip he started out on
> in
> 1973 and who insists on *singing* the wrong lyrics and shouting for
> Brainstorm
> - I mean does he want us to join in HIS personal mental nightmare or
> what?
>
> Worst HW gig ever had most of these - it was one of those Acid Daze
> things in Leeds
> a few years ago. Massive cold venue (although pretty full), hoards of
> crustie
> beggars and endless hours of atrocious support acts including a typically
> off-form Pink Faires. Yuck :-(
>

> Chris Bates
> Research Assistant,
> Computing Research Centre,
> Sheffield Hallam University,
> Phone (+44) 0114 253 3101,
> Email c.d.bates at shu.ac.uk

I tend to agree with Chris, with the added point of hating having loads
of nauseating 15 year olds "rave fans" standing on one side of you trying
to dance to what the mad nutter (on the bad trip) is singing on the other
side of you.

Colin