BOC CDs, was Re: BOC We gotta get out....

Colin Shayler etlcnsr at ETLXDMX.ERICSSON.SE
Tue Sep 19 06:53:24 EDT 1995

Plugging the CD player into your phono socket would be a mistake
on 2 grounds:

1) As has been suggested, the CD output is 2 volts peak to peak
   whereas the average phono socket expects an awful lot less
   (cannot remember the exact figures, but can find out if you
   want, it also varies between Moving Magnet and Moving Coil
   stylii).

2) There is a strange thing called the RIAA frequency response
   curve (this sometimes gets mentioned on LP sleeves) which
   corrects the fact that there are a lot more high frequencies
   on vinyl than low frequencies (something to do with it being
   harder to cut low frequencies into vinyl than high
   frequencies).

You can correct for both problems (attentuation and a filter that
acts as the inverse of the RIAA filter in your phono pre-amp),
but the abuse on the CD signal would make things worse, not better.
I am afraid that I am new to this newsgroup and am not totally
sure what you are trying to do (I did not see the original email).

Colin