DIY Trepanation Revisited

Bert Edens bedens at INTELLINET.COM
Wed Sep 20 13:27:11 EDT 1995

Greetings...
        A while back, someone posted information on Do-it-Yourself
Trepanation from Crank Magazine... I was perusing the site and ran across
the following letter, which was actually sent... Whenever I see a reply,
I'll post it here, too... :-)

- Bert

                     PO Box 1646
                     Philadelphia, PA 19105-1646
                     May 13, 1994
Black and Decker
Customer Relations
10 N. Park Drive
PO Box 798
Hunt Valley, MD 21030

To whom it may concern:

I recently read about a couple in England who have drilled holes in
their foreheads in an effort to enlighten themselves. I will spare you
the details, but will mention that they claim to have "never been
happier."
I am planning to perform this procedure on myself in the immediate
future. And because of your company's reputation and my past
experiences with your products, I intend to use Black and Decker
tools exclusively to accomplish my goal. I have already purchased a
B&D D1000 for the job--I found it to be a very lightweight, easy-to-
use drill, on sale at an affordable price! The lock-on button was very
important, all things considered.
My question is this: which type of drill bit should I use? I'm looking
for a 3/8" - 1/2" opening. I'm favoring the 1/2" Wood Boring Bit
(#17204) but am afraid of the package description: "fast, rough
drilling." Will this be a little TOO rough and hard to handle? I'll be
doing this alone.
On the other hand, I considered the carbide-tipped, 1/2" Glass and
Tile bit (#16905). My only problem with THIS bit is the advice on the
package: "use a slow drilling speed; variable or hand drill is ideal." As
you well know, the Black and Decker D1000 drill isn't variable speed!
Maybe I've made a hasty purchase with the D1000? Should I have
sprung for a more expensive model??
Or should I just stick with a trusty 1/2" metal/wood bit? (Maybe
#15643?) But I'm afraid it might be difficult (and painful!) to get a
hole started.
Any advice you provide will be considered with great attention. Your
hasty response is appreciated, as I am--of course--anxious to get this
done.
                     Sincerely,
                     Jeff Koyen

|          Bert Edens - bedens at intellinet.com                 |
|      http://www.intellinet.com/~bedens/home.html            |
| Picard (about Q): "A member of the Q Continuum, who         |
| feels that it's his purpose in life to annoy us."           |
| Q: "Not my SOLE purpose. I like to spread myself around."   |