Use of filters

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Wed Sep 20 16:15:39 EDT 1995

Martyn White writes:

>         I don't want to spark off yet another meta-discussion
> but it strikes me that much that is of worth here comes from the
> cross-pollination between the HW and BOC factions.  I think if
> people start using BOC or HW filters then this could be lost.
>         That could be why its been so damn quiet here (as opposed
> to the other extreme a few weeks back).  Think twice people
> before stopping the mail about "the other group"

Personally, I don't think it's been particularly quiet.  It's not been
noisy, but that's a welcome relief, IMHO.

However, one thing you may not have considered is that it is no longer
summer, and the students/academics on the list are probably now back
to the grind.  This might contribute some to the lack of volume.

Of course, now we have moved to LISTSERV, it's entirely possible for
people to forge unsubscribe requests for list members they deem
"undesirable", or, even nastier, to set them NOMAIL so they think the
list has "died" and so they don't bother posting.  Maybe some irate
lurker has got at the megaposters?

Who knows?  Who cares?

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Zero Gravity, _Space Does Not Care_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.