BOC CDs, was Re: BOC We gotta get out....

albert bouchard wk06705 at WORLDLINK.COM
Wed Sep 20 17:34:05 EDT 1995

On  Tue, 19  Sep 1995 06:53:24 BST  Colin Shayler wrote:

> You can correct for both problems (attentuation and a filter that acts as
> the inverse of the RIAA filter in your phono pre-amp), but the abuse
> on the CD signal would make things worse, not better.
> I am afraid that I am new to this newsgroup and am not totally sure
> what you are trying to do (I did not see the original email).
>
> Colin
>
> > On Fri, 8 Sep 1995, Vince LeGrand wrote:
> >
> >I have always wondered, however, whether these CDs would
> >sound better if the CD player were plugged instead into the phono
> >input of the amplifier...

> > Ok... so how about if you did 99% signal attenuation it first?
> > I'd _love_ to come up with a workable fix to this problem, because
> > I have a lot of CDs that sound like absolute shit because of it.

        I don't know what the RIAA curve
would have to do with it unless the CD were mastered from the record rather
than the master tape. The curve is only applied during the cutting of the
master disc. Maybe CD reissues sound bad because vinyl records hide a
multitude of sins with all kinds of noise like inner groove distortion (the
last cut on a side is all distorted and trebly sounding), print-through (you
hear an echo of the song before the song starts) as well as analogue tape hiss
vs. surface noise. On a CD you hear these noises and others in all their
glory. Vinyl is dead long live vinyl!
Al