Off topic: Jethro Tull

Mitch.Goldman at TURNER.COM Mitch.Goldman at TURNER.COM
Fri Sep 22 09:20:19 EDT 1995

Has anyone heard the new Tull album?  Could someone post a review?  I'm
isolated at school and probably won't be able to purchase it for a couple
of weeks.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian...

I don't have the cd with me, so it's hard to do a detailed review.  I will say
that as a long time Tull fan, I find ROOTS TO BRANCES to be their best lp since
STORMWATCH in 1979.

Most of the songs have that "progressive" edge that's been missing from the last
few years.  Lots of different musical touchstones appear..."Rare and Precious
Chain" has a middle-eastern feel, "Wounded Old and Treacherous" is Zappa-like,
and *all* the songs have a real edgy Martin Barre guitar presence that's very
satisfying.  Ian's acoustic guitar playing is excellent, and there's probably
more flute playing than on any lp since HEAVY HORSES.

Additionally, the keyboards sounds are great...they've abandoned any "synth"
textures in favor of prog-rock organ and piano.   Several of the pieces are
seven minutes or longer, lending themselves to a progressive, operatic feel.

Overall, it's an excellent album.  If you've been turned off of Tull by CATFISH
RISING, now's the time to check back in with them...

Mitch