Off topic general radio question

Andrew Gilham emphyrio at CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK
Mon Sep 25 20:34:00 EDT 1995

Jill says

> jeez - I dunno about the States but it was a rare and wondrous occasion
> when you could find a radio prog in the UK that was prepared to play
> ANYTHING that wasn't released as a single and on the official "play
> list".   [...]

My earliest Hawkwind exposure, apart from "Silver Machine", of course,
and "Urban Guerrilla" (on Radio Luxembourg!) was on Radio Caroline in the
mid-'70s.  They'd play whole sides off of _Space Ritual_!  And when
_Quark_ came out, they'd play "Spirit of the Age" several times a day.
Ditto _Motorhead_ and "Motorhead".  And _American Stars and Bars_/"Like a
Hurricane".  They ruled!

One thing about them though, maybe because they were at sea and it made
things more tricky, if they just played one track, they nearly always
played the first track on a side.  Except for one guy whose favourite BOC
song was "Fireworks".

But Peely, where'd we be without - random memory crosses my mind of
driving back to Cambridge from a Hawkwind show in London, and Peel's
playing Roky Erickson's "Sputnik" off of _The Evil One_...

- Andy

ObCD: Celine Dion - _D'eux_