see ya soon (was Re: Man, LOOP and Box Sets)

Douglas B. Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Sep 28 03:58:22 EDT 1995

"Scott Heller (617) 724-7762" <HELLERS at A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU> wrote:

>            I know the UK group Man toured with Hawkwind in the US in 1974
>       and perhaps 1975?. I just got a tape that I was told was a fan club
>       release called 1999 tour party. They announce the show,  :Good evening
>       Chicago. You hear a few people yell HW during a quiet part of C'mon,
>       so I am inclined to think it is 1974? Any Man fans out there know the
>       answer?

It would have to have been 1973-1975, but I'd have no idea which year ...

>       Also, what do you all know about the band LOOP? I had heard that they
>       were HW influenced, but I just played part of one of their discs this
>       morning and I don't hear it. They are pretty interesting though.

The only similarity I can think of is that both Hawkwind and Loop are heavy
guitar bands, serious about properly applying repetition in their music
(the same statement could be just as truthfully made about the Velvet
Underground, Black Sabbath, or the Ramones so it seems kind of meaningless.
Loop broke up several years ago, and guitarist / singer / leader Robert
Hanson has subsequently played with God, and formed Main, who take slow
drone heavy music down beyond any kind of rock music (he has also professed
a loathing for Hawkwind, and cited Can, the Velvet Underground & the Pop
Group as influences).

I'll be off the list for a week or two while I move across the bay to
Oakland (any postal mail sent to my San Francisco address will still reach
me), but I'll   check email every few days.  (anyone still interested in
the first pressing of the tribute 2xLP should write me within the next
week)

hoping at least the Hawkwind EP will be out by the time I'm back ...

-Doug
ceres at sirius.com