My expectations will melt, and then my wallet...

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Sep 28 10:40:50 EDT 1995

John A Swartz writes:

> As far as the SFG/SWU songs, it would have been nice for those to have
> been on WOTT, but Sony (based on what the blurb this summer in ICE
> magazine said) did not state that that stuff would be in WOTT - they
> hinted at doing more stuff later, including some live material and the
> SFG stuff -- and they are working with the band on this.  Again, I think
> that alot of that will hinge on the commercial success of WOTT.  Which
> means, the only way that we might see that follow-up happen is we all
> go buy a copy, and maybe a few for our friends a relatives (Christmas
> will be here before you know it).

I think this is a stupid marketing strategy.  Actually, it may not be
so much stupid as just plain unethical: hint at being able to buy some
good product in the future so long as you buy something crappy now (in
the hope they'll hold up their end of the bargain).

It's highly likely nowadays that the only real market for Blue Oyster
Cult material is amongst their established fan base.  Most people I
know (not on this list) will say "Blue Oyster Who?" at the mention of
BOC.  It's sad, I know, but facts are facts.

Given that most potential sales will be generated by those who are
already fans (to a greater or lesser extent) of the band, does it make
sense for Sony to pursue the current marketing strategy as typified by
_Workshop of the Telescopes_?

Does it make sense for Sony to sell a package of which 90% of the
material the buyer will likely already own?  Maybe Sony genuinely
*believes* there's a sucker born every minute, but personally I think
that a happy customer is a repeat customer, and that knowing you've
been conned doesn't sit well with most folks.

Is there a market for a release of "rare and unreleased" BOC
material.  Yes.  It may not be volume, but since these are extant
recordings, the overheads are fairly negligible compared to recording
an entirely new album.  There is a very healthy market for obscure
re-releases.  There are lots of "from the archives" packages coming
out all the time, for all sorts of artists, famous and obscure.  They
may not sell like Billboard favourites, but they do sell and cover
their costs.

Heck, I think that a BOC package containing largely unreleased
material but including the regular versions of the "radio hits"
amongst it would sell better than that offered on _Workshop of the
Telescopes_.  Certainly, there would be a lot less people feeling
ripped off.

I, for one, *won't* be buying _Workshop of the Telescopes_.  Why?  I
have the "bootleg EP" already on CD (as well as all the BOC regular
releases).  So it comes down to this: should I shell out over $18 for
the ONE TRACK I do not have (the studio version of "Born to be Wild")?
I think not.  I'll save my money for the next Brain Surgeons
release...

> Although, I must say - if you want to buy your friends or relatives a
> good Christmas present, send 'em a copy of *Trepanation* too.

This is good advice!

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: It's silly they left off "Cities on Flame" from the "bootleg EP."
There's such a good segue into it from "Workshop of the Telescopes,"
and the version itself is a rollicking good rendition.  I particularly
like Albert's fluid drumming.

obGig: The Glen Miller Orchestra, 25/9/95

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.