HW Live Chronicles Video CD & BOC Workshop Box Set

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Sep 28 15:33:10 EDT 1995

Rudich, Robert A wrote:

> I'm really envious of the UK people with their access to shows and releases
> that aren't easily gotten in the States.  The latest video CD release of the
> Live Chronicles show really breaks it for me.  This is my favorite album (in
> my bio, AB) and to have it in sight and sound with new music is something
> I'd really appreciate.  While I applaud the new independent house's efforts
> in breaking new ground, they leave a large market untapped.  Not only do I
> live in another country, but I haven't gotten a video CD because the
> universal format is not fixed yet (nor has the price found a true level).  I
> don't want to buy another Betamax.  I hope  a VHS version with wider
> distribution comes out sometime.    The need is there, whether or not it
> will be filled legitimately is the next question.

As I understand from the press release, this "video" is basically an ISO
MPEG data stream (can't remember if it is level 1 or 2).  So, in theory,
if you have a computer with a quick enough CD-ROM drive (e.g. quad speed),
a quick enough processor (e.g. PowerPC, Alpha, Pentium), a quick enough
video card (e.g. PCI-based), and some MPEG viewing software (e.g. the
registered version of VMPEG 1.7), then you should be able to view this
movie on any computer system.  (As I understand it, MPEG includes sync
information, but this isn't as vital to image display as is the case with
analogue formats; achievable frame rate is dependent upon available
hardware, not the video data.  That's an oversimplification, but it's
largely true.)

So things might not be as grim as they sound.

Cheers,

Paul.

obSootyAndSweepOnAcid: The Bevis Frond, "Once More", _Inner Marshland_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.