HW Discography Update; section 3

Stephen Lindsey stephen at SYSTEM9.UNISYS.COM
Fri Sep 29 09:28:15 EDT 1995

Hawkjoe says:

According to the Bible "This is Hawkwind, Do Not Panic" chapter 7, quote:
"[...]   Because of Gingers departure, the Italian tour was cancelled. But
apparently, Ginger was quick to capitalise, for he gathered together several
of his cronies, formed a band and flew across to Italy where he was reported
to have played the [cancelled] gigs under the name of Hawkwind! [...]"
unquote
This was 1981.

1982, in Italy and Milan, there was an album published, entitled
Bakerandband / From Humble Oranges.
Musicians: Ginger Baker / Doug Brockie / Karl Hill. Label CGD
                                            ^^^^^^^^^ (D. Brock soundalike,
full name on inner sleeve: Douglas Murray Brockie)
Has this band toured in Italy under the name of Hawkwind????????
(This question has haunted me ever since I bought the K.Tait book in 1984)

Well jumping on a rare chance to talk about Ginger Baker !!!

There is anotehr album (whcih I have) 'Ginger Baker Live' which
is I believe listed as either 1980 or 81 (I'd have to check at home)
it doesn't have the personell on the 'Humble Oranges' album, but it
does include one other Hawkwind alumni - Keith Hale. I've always wondered
if *this* was the lineup that toured as Ginger Bakers Hawkwind for
that one little joint. (To be fair to Ginger I'm sure that he was
fulfilling contractual obligations or something, I don't think
he really needed the Hawkwind tag ). Good album (jazzy though)
and certainly features one very HW'ish track.

Anyway Mike thats my addition to the discog - Kieth Hale on
'Ginger Baker Live'

I may try and put together a Ginger Baker section for the discography,
anybody else interested ??

Cheers,
Steve L.