HW: remasters - WOW!

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Mon Apr 1 04:08:07 EST 1996

Hi,

There hasn't been a lot of discussion about the remasters
but let me throw my hat into the ring. A few weeks ago I
wrote here that they'd either have to be mid-price or damn
good. Well you could knock me down with a feather but I
really think EMI have come up trumps on these. I've only
bought Doremi, HoTMG and SR but quite frankly they
are all bloody excellent!

Doremi - how heavy? There seems to be less synth and much
more bass and drums with some of the gnarliest guitar
sounds ever commited to tape. I really can't praise this
enough.

HoTMG - less bass but plenty of drums. The sound has been
cleaned up a hell of a lot and there's masses of stuff
going on that I'd never noticed before. I think that this
is quite a laid-back, trippy kind of album, it's always
been a fave of mine and the remastering has done it no harm.
Lovely.

SR - how to turn a perfectly sane man into a gibbering wreck!
Very, very, very good :-) Definitely less murky.

Some general points, I've always liked Lemmy but his playing
seems even better when you can hear him properly - he is
NOT a typical rock bass player! And the songs are often more
rhythmically complex than I thought. I noticed several times
when they switched from a straight four four into a shuffle.
Maybe I was concentrating more, I don't know!

The only downer is the cardboard packaging. Will these last
or will they become disgusting and tatty? I think a box as EMI
used for the Floyds *Pulse* would have been a good idea.

Chris