BOC: I'm back and they're not

Mon Apr 1 08:53:04 EST 1996

Theo asks:

John, what's your opinion of  a BOC direct mail thing?

Well, I personally like being on the Surgeons' mailing list - like Torgo
though, I can't get to too many NY gigs (luckily for me, they've made it
out to Boston a few times).  Only they can tell you if it's cost-effective
for them though, but they tend to be more into doing stuff for their fans
than some bands.

Should BOC do this?  I don't know.  My initial thought is BOC is pretty
set in their ways, and probably would see no value in doing this.  And,
how many would be on their mailing list?  Would it be cost-effective for
them?  My guess is that it wouldn't be -- hey, if I get a postcard saying
that BOC will be playing in Seattle, I'm not about to hop aboard a plane
to see them (yeah, I know, I did see them in Florida last year, but I was
on a business trip).  BOC probably figures that it's easier (and cheaper)
to let the local venue promote the shows (which aren't being booked very
far in advance these days
)  and they can use their on-line fans to spread the word somewhat.

My system is going down in a minute -- gotta go.

John