HW: Remasters.

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Tue Apr 2 03:15:42 EST 1996

>>> Less than they would be if they weren't priced so outrageously high!
>>> If they were as cheap as the Castle remasters I'd have them all by now ...
>>
>> Can you define "outrageously high" for me, please?  I'm at the point where
>> I want to get the remasters from the UK, but have no idea what the going
>> rate for them is.  I'd like some idea, so I know what damage to expect.
>>
>> Last figure I heard was L12 (L9 ex-VAT, postage) for the single CDs, which
>> doesn't sound "outrageously high" to me for a new CD release in the UK.
>> Are people paying more than this, on average?  A poor Kollector's wallet
>> would like to know. :-)
>
> First my sympathies!    Now the prices:   C&D (i.e. Andy Garibaldi who
> is likely not to be overcharging I'd guess) are listing them at each CD
> single 13.99 pounds (not including p&p or VAT) double CD (Space Ritual)
> 20.99 pounds and from what I've seen in the shops so far this is about
> standard.
> However Key Mail Order are advertising the single CDs at 12.99 pounds
> (not including postage).   They are also advertising the 2CD Space
> Ritual at this price but I'm doubtful - it's probably a misprint!

        In Cambridge, the best price I've seen in #12.99 for the single
discs at Parrot Records.  HMV was charging about 15 quid for the singles
and 22.49 for _SR_.  Andy's Records, which usually has good prices, was
charging even more that HMV! 23.99 for _SR_ as I recall.

        Considering that HW are not exactly a chart-topping band and I
doubt the remasters are getting much press, I don't think it was a good
idea to price the CDs this high.  I think they'd do better by knocking a
few quid off and selling more.  Who except a die-hard fan is gonna buy
these?  They did a great job on the re-mastering and packaging and it'd
be a shame to see that go to nought because they were priced beyond the
means of all but the die-hard fans who'll buy them anyway .... :P

Cheers,
Carl