HW: remasters - WOW!

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Tue Apr 2 11:13:01 EST 1996

I've only bought ISOS.  This is the best packaged single CD I've ever
seen.  The "digipak" itself comes in a cardboard sleeve which holds it
all together.  The reason for this is that the digipak opens in the
middle, like the original vinyl sleeve.  The outer sleeve protects the
two "doors" - this is a good idea, and would be worth adopting for
ordinary digipaks as well.  Inside there is a miniature version of
the original Hawkwind log, and several fold out photos.  It is all
beautifully done.

To describe the sound, I'm going to digress.  For the last couple of
years I've effectively been living away from home in order to work
(that's a complicated story that I won't go into).  This works pays
quite well (better than being a postgrad, anyway), and last year I
decided to spend some of my ill-gotten gains on a new stereo.  After
listening to lots of gear, I spent 2 grand on a CD player, pre- and
power amp, and speakers; bottom of the range high-end audio.  I took
it all home, set it up, and sat down to play with my new toy, only
to find that I couldn't.  There was nothing in the system itself to
listen to.  It just played the music with more clarity, more dynamic
range, more attack, etc., than before.  I love this set-up, and my
only regret is that I didn't buy it earlier (not that I had the
money, but still...).

Listening to the remastered ISOS is like that.  There isn't anything
new; it's the same music.  It's just clearer than before, with
better separation of the instruments, and so forth.  The remastering
makes a noticeable difference, and I recommend it.

Finally, there are three bonus tracks.  These are worth having, but
not exceptional.  The single of "7 by 7" isn't a patch on the live
version, but is interesting.  I suppose it's worth having a CD version
of "Silver Machine", although this track was done to death years ago.
(The remastering is nice though).   The "Born to go" single mix is
pretty good, in fact.

Altogether, this is a very good package.  I'm usually wary of buying
old albums afresh, because often I find that my fond memories don't
translate into actually playing them much.  (E.g. I play 90's Hawkwind
much more than the old stuff).  But I think I will play this one.

Dave.