Off: Zelazny

M Holmes fofp at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Tue Apr 2 14:50:12 EST 1996

Andrew A. Apold writes:

> >The first Amber books kept the magic technologies linked to a vaguely
> >definded ability to walk through parallel worlds and this was limited to
> >the Amber world being more "real" than the others. The cards were also a
> >neat device to keep the political plotting going while providing little
> >extra power than teleportation.
>
> Oh, but they do follow the same framework.  About the only development I
> really disliked was the sentience of the pattern and logrus.  Kinda took=
>  some of
> the...  innocence (i know, odd for Amber) of the universe off the scheme
> of things, even the idyllic wanderings through bright shadows and stuff
> like that has a kind of underlying sinister tone to it in that light...
>
> As for stuff like Ghostwheel, the font of power, Merlin's sorcery, stuff=
>  like
> that, it holds pretty consistantly...

In some ways maybe. The powers of the Courts and its denizens seemed
fairly unlimited and the powers at the Four Keeps (?) were pretty out of
step with the Amber stuff.

> >hehe :-)
> >
> >I'm not a great fan of roleplaying. I always thought that Amber would
> >make a great board game if someone put in some good design effort.
>
> How can you make a board for an infinity of possible shadows?

Limit the game to various routes of assault on Amber circa the end of
the first book.

Maybe have seperate boards for specific shadows like Earth and Avalon
for troop raising and stuff like that.

> >I also think they could have made a lot of cash by selling an Amber deck
> >of cards with some kind of rules for a card game. There must be SF
> >artists out there who could do some incredibly tasty designs for this.
>
> There is a deck of Amberites as Tarots available in France, there is a link
> from the Zelazny page (do a net search, it pops up...).  Anyways, most=
>  people
> who play the DRPG make up trump decks of their own, and many of these
> people like to put them on the net.  A good set can be found at
>
> http://www.phlab.missouri.edu/~c642985/amber/trumps/trumps.html

Thanks. I'll have a look at these.

> >What we really want though is a "Live Chronicles" type Hawkwind album
> >based on the Amber books. Maybe if we write some lyrics and send 'em to
> >Brock...
>
> Ah, don't tempt me...   but such a matter would have to be with permission
> from the Amber corporation, which holds his copyrights.  I have no idea
> what whoever controls it now would feel about such a matter...

Right :-(

FoFP