Off: Zelazny

john paine jpaine at LINKNET.KITSAP.LIB.WA.US
Wed Apr 3 22:52:20 EST 1996

> >> I heard a rumor that his son may continue the Amber series...
> >
> >The first Amber series or the crap one?
>
> Speak for yourself, at first I didn't like the Merlin series as much, though
> I still enjoyed it.  With successive readings, though, I have come to
> appreciate it more, evenso, than much of the first series.  There is much
> more subtle forces at work.  Yeah, it bogs down a bit in metaphysical
> dream matters somewhat at times (especially Knight of Shadows), but
> hey, I thought the last one of the first five, 'Courts of Chaos', was by far the
>  worst of all ten books.  I've read them all at least a dozen times now.
>
> If anyone is interested in a good source of info and/or background stuff
> on Amber, I suggest Phage Press's two books, 'Amber DRPG' and
> "Shadow Knight', though sourcebooks for a game they contain excellent
> info and speculation (one section tries to convince us that Bill Roth was
> really Eric (shapeshifting, to boot) all along, as a way to keep tabs on
> Corwyn, and now using it to hold an influential position beyond suspicion...

        It's not like he hasn't used the ruse in the series before
(Ganelon), but I think that the odds are he's not.  How about an
Amber/BOC cross-over type of short story?  The series may benefit from
"shared-world" treatment.  Consider the Man-Kzin Wars.

- Passerby

PS.  Random and Corwin were both Shadow Earth musicians at one time or
another . . .