Farmington Review

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Fri Apr 5 10:58:31 EST 1996

> > >   Although I love the intimacy of small clubs, It was great to see BOC in a
> > > large venue again.  The McGee Park Coliseum holds about 5,000, but approx-
> > > imately 2,500 were in attendance.  It is also interesting to point out that
> > > there were ALOT of teenagers at this show.  But what else is there to do in
> > > Farmington on a Saturday night, right?

I'd give anything to see BOC in a stadium again.  It's where they
belong, all right.  I go to a few Allmans shows every year, and there
are always a lot of kids in attendance.  I think the youngsters will
go see just about anyone, just to go to a concert.  But kids are also
pretty open-minded.  It's surprising that they don't simply dismiss
older rockers as dinosaurs.  Good for them!  BTW, how did the kids
respond to BOC?

> > >   The set was rather short, but the energy level was high and they look-
> >   as though they were having a great time.  John O'Rielly seems to be gett-
> >   ing into the groove more these days, and Danny Miranda just keeps getting
> >   better and better.  I hope that Danny stays with the band for a long time.

Too bad for the short set.  I hate to see that, esp. since they had a
chance to really wail in front of a good-sized crowd.  Seems like a
dumb strategy to me...

> > >   After the show, we were able to get backstage and hung out with Buck,
> >   Eric, and some fanclub members that came all the way from CA and AZ to
> > > see the show.  Allen was wandering around the stage looking spaced out
> >   as always after the show.  Perhaps he dropped or lost something?

What kind of spirits were the guys into, er..., in?  Did they seem
pleased to be doing a large gig again?

> > >   I never tire of seeing BOC live.  We may get into heated
arguments
> >   over why no new CD has been out yet, or how "terrible" they have been
> >   to former members.  However, BOC can still rock better than just about
> > > any band out there.  And besides, it's only rock and roll, and I like
> >   it.....
> >
> >   Manuel

No argument over that at all.  My constant griping is largely based
in sadness over BOC's decline as a top touring act, and the lack of
new records.  No mistake, they are one righteous rock band.  Eric's
still got the look, the attitude, the voice and the showmanship.
Buck can still lay waste to entire arenas with his incredible playing
(and singing).  Allen is a master of spooky keyboard tones, and he
fits BOC perfectly.  I'm not too familiar with the rhythm dudes, but
I'm sure they can more than handle the job.  There's no rock band I'd
rather see, still after almost 30 shows...
theo