HW: Timeless Paeans Comments

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Mon Apr 8 06:57:00 EDT 1996

Steve, a couple comments on this boot.  The sound changes so much from cut
to cut that I may make a tape of it and try to equalize things a bit more.
 My biggest comment is that the maker (same as Nova Drive) may have tried to
jam too many songs on it.  He has 15 and "Welcome to the Future" could have
been cut without losing any real substance.  The reason for this is some of
the very abrupt ends to songs, almost in mid note sometimes.  "Silver
Machine" ends at a really poor spot (guitars churning) and it is a really
good version.  With the extra time he could have extended a few songs and
done some fading.   He uses a 74 minute recordable CD as the medium and
73:30 or so are used.  The minute and 1/2 saving with 14 songs could have
made things much better if used right.  Some of \\joe's left channel pops in
one song too.  They are digitally clean sounding.

The editing skill level would be my biggest fault.   It does have some good
stuff on it though and as a taper myself, gives me a sampler of the results
other people achieve.   As far as a buy recommendation, if you don't have
these tapes, why not.   Or, if you'd like to trade a tape of something for
it .....

Rudy
Hoping to tape HW myself someday