Off: GONG

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Wed Apr 10 10:38:00 EDT 1996

>Maybe they've changed but when i used to see the Ozrics you could hardly
>have described them in any other way but "like Gong". I must have seen
>them play Hillage's Om Riff 100 times. Year in year out.

<Well, I hope that Gong are better, because I'm going to see them on
<Friday, and I thought the Ozrics were rather dull when I saw them live.
<Gong have lyrics, which usually helps provide some focus.

I'm basing comments on the Boston show, but I think you will find GONG
better.  Their version of "OM Riff" has 3 or 4 distinct phases.  In one,
Steffi cuts loose on the sharp strings and that is what the whole Ozric
version is like.  But GONG has several tasty variations including the
opening chant.   I liked GONG's ability to mutate songs live, a lot like HW.
 You can't guess that the song would be what it is now from what it was 1
minute before.  That is one thing I 1st liked about HW, the changing nature
within a song and the spacey background noises.  Two things I liked about
HW,  ......

"Om Riff" was one of several high points for my wife and I.  After the song
Daevid gave a brief tutorial on the chant.   Nothing like a little
enlightenment with your entertainment.

<The only Gong I know is Camembert Electrique, Flying Teapot, Angel's Egg,
<and Floating Anarchy.

Those are the sources for this tour's set list.  One new song, Techno
Mercury, that I think you will really like.   You'll hear a pounding drum
beat start and then they take off.

Dave, with PT and GONG, you should be in for a great show.  Enjoy with some
tea.

Rudy