OFF Gong & the Ozrics

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Apr 10 12:03:28 EDT 1996

In message <13404.9604091817 at abel.cam.harlequin.co.uk>, Dave Berry
<daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK> writes

>Well, I hope that Gong are better, because I'm going to see them on
>Friday, and I thought the Ozrics were rather dull when I saw them live.
>Gong have lyrics, which usually helps provide some focus
You shouldn't be disappointed.

>The only Gong I know is Camembert Electrique, Flying Teapot, Angel's Egg,
>and Floating Anarchy.

That'll do! That's pretty much the best of it.
>(The other Gong albums I've heard were dull).
Like Gazuse! or Shamal. Poo! I smell duff old jazz with no lyrics and no
David "Insert one of two dozen silly names here" Allen!
His solo albums, little more than dribbling into a cassette recorder,
are outstanding works of psychedelia. Banana Moon or Now Is The Happiest
Time Of Your Life for instance, a little like Syd Barrett in their mind-
sprung simplicity.

>Some Ozrics tunes sound like these four, but most of the Ozrics music is
>different.  On disk, I find these Gong albums more interesting to listen
>to, while the Ozrics make nice background music.

As far as I can see, the comparison arose because, a few years ago at
least, the Ozrics would base their jams on Gongs riffs. It wasn't in any
way a swipe or calculated at all, it's just that's the music they liked
playing. and Ed sound's more like Hillage than Hillage does :-)

>At least Friday's gig will only have one support band (Porcupine Tree).

Where do I start with PT? Sky Moves Sideways? I keep reading how good
they are.

--
Jon Browne