BOC: Interview

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Wed Apr 10 14:32:52 EDT 1996

> So what about the band going independent and starting it's own label?  A
> reticent Eric Bloom replies: "We could do that but that's such a difficult
> thing to do.  Because if we did our own album, which we could do, and put
> it out on a no name label,we have so many good songs.  We're afraid that
> no one will ever hear or buy them.  So we're sort of holding out.  Maybe
> eventually we might have to do something like that and resort to some sort
> of secondary way of getting this product out.  I think we're up against
> that right now and know it.  We actually do have an offer from a
> European label, but no distribution for it in the U.S."

        Well, what do you know--evidence they've actually thought about
putting albums out.  But as for no one hearing the songs or buying the
albums--who's debuted more new songs and sold more new albums recently
BOC or the Brain Surgeons? ;)

> So it doesn't look good for any new BOC release in the future.  As Eric
> Bloom puts it, "It's not like we haven't tried with every major there
> is.  The writing on the wall is that unless you're alternative, rap or
> pop, there's really no place for rock and roll to happen anymore.
> That's my philosophy and perspective after looking at all the trades and
> slogging through all the major's after the last couple of years.
> Where's the rock?  There just isn't any."

        Where does he think all the cool rock is?  Begosh and begorrah,
looky thar!  It's on the independants and small labels! ;)  It seems to
me that BOC is still labouring under the illusion that having been a
stadium filler once, they deserve a major label.  Bzzzt!  If you want to
get something accomplished you gotta do what it takes, not wait for the
world to hand it to you on a silver platter!
        Where are all these "so many good songs"?  They should be out
there debuting them and building support for them (how long has it been
since the latest of the "new" songs was debuted?  Years anyway.).  They
should put out a new record on a small label or on their own label and
sling it to the fans.  You start showing you can hold an audience base
which will buy your records and _then_ the majors start paying attention.
Hell, they'll buy up your old records and reissue them if you show there's
a profit in it.
        Get with the program BOC!

Cheers,
Carl