BOC: Interview

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Wed Apr 10 15:55:16 EDT 1996

> April 8, 1996
> AN INTERVIEW WITH BLUE OYSTER CULT: February 2, 1996,
[...]
> new CD any
> time soon?  "No" was the short answer.  Eric Bloom went on to explain that
> "we've been trying
> to get a record deal for the last four years.  Two years ago we signed and
> sealed a deal with
> Elecktra Records.  But there was some misunderstanding between our
> management and Atlantic and they reneged on the contract.  This set us back
> on our heals quite a bit because we had passed on other deals to go with
> Atlantic.  And it was a major album, major deal and we thought we were back
> in business with a real record company.  And when they reneged on us.  For
> what ever reason they did, it was very difficult.  I think the word got out
> or something.  We have no idea what happened but other major labels lost
> interest as well.  We're a little bit dumbfounded we can't get a deal.  It's
> frustrating."

Talk about "not being able to manage your way out of a paper bag."  And
here's me thinking it was BOC [management] that dropped the ball, when all
the time it was (allegedly) evil Atlantic that did the dirty.  Mind you,
this version of events is from a man who repeatedly states to fans from
the stage that there'll be a new album coming out "soon." ;-)

In a fit of illogic, the madness continues: :-)

> So what about the band going independent and starting it's own label?  A
> reticent Eric Bloom
> replies: "We could do that but that's such a difficult thing to do.  Because

(Tell it to the Brain Surgeons...:)

> if we did our own
> album, which we could do, and put it out on a no name label,we have so many
> good songs.  We're afraid that no one will ever hear or buy them.

Um... if you don't release it, period, then nobody will hear any of these
good songs anyway.  At least on an independent release *some* people will
get to hear it.

> Along with all being into film they stay educated by reading a lot. More so
> on tour than
> off and exchanging books when they come upon a hot topic.  Currently Buck
> Dharma is into a book on P.G.P., "a free NSA inscription program for the
> masses" he tells us, book in hand, as he
> stops by the table we are sitting at.

Um... I think you mean "RSA encryption program," Buck... :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Robert Johnson, _The Complete Recordings_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.