smokin o.p.'s?

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Apr 11 11:08:14 EDT 1996

> Paul comments on the interview w/BOC:
>
> > So what about the band going independent and starting it's own label?  A
> > reticent Eric Bloom
> > replies: "We could do that but that's such a difficult thing to do.  Because
>
> (Tell it to the Brain Surgeons...:)
>

> Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if BOC is reluctant to do it because the
> Brain Surgeons did it.  What I mean, perhaps they think that by doing so,
> they'd have to admit that maybe Albert knows what they should be doing
> better than they do.  If so, well the Bible says "Pride goeth before a
> fall".

Two dynamics in operation:  One, they might have to admit Al has been
right all along. 'Course if they hadn't shafted Al and forced him out
of the band, they'd likely still be on a major label and still be
rich.  "The wages of sin indeed."  Two, they are likely afraid that
the material they have is in no way close to either the Surgeons'
stuff or BOC stuff that Al participated in!

> > if we did our own
> > album, which we could do, and put it out on a no name label,we have so many
> > good songs.  We're afraid that no one will ever hear or buy them.
>
> Um... if you don't release it, period, then nobody will hear any of these
> good songs anyway.  At least on an independent release *some* people will
> get to hear it.
>

> Agreed.  Do these guys think that some major label is suddenly going to
> come forward and offer them a deal?  I mean, if 2 years ago all the major
> labels turned BOC down, what's suppossed to attract them to BOC now?
> Hey guys, Miranda and O'Reilly may be good musicians, and "I'd Like to
> See You in Black" is one good tune, but if you think that those things
> will make the difference between getting a major deal or not (oh, and I
> forgot - they also have another "greatest hits" package released by Sony
> since 2 years ago), then like Deb said, I don't know what you're smokin'
> these days.
>
> John
Right!  What does he think has changed that would miraculously induce
the majors to jump all over them!  Better to self-produce, take your
lumps, swallow your prode, and leave it up to the fans to decide.  If
the material is, as E.B. would like to have us believe, really good,
then it would stand on its own merit, people would buy it, and the
majors would have to reckon with BOC again.  It appears to me that
what the BOC really wants, is front money.  That's the only thing
they'd get from a major (aside from 'prestige').  I say put the album
oout, 'cause it's going nowhere on its own right now...
theo