NIK: Japan?

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Apr 11 17:48:42 EDT 1996

Duane Hoyt writes:

> >> Nik Turner's Hawkwind
> >> Nik Turner - vocal, sax, flute
> >> DEl Dattmer - synth
> >> Simon House - vln
> >> Alan Powell - percussions
> >
> >        That's a pretty stripped down Hawkwind, unless it is listing only
> >they original members!
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Carl
> >
> Just a point of clarification, I thought Nikwind was in Japan, not Hawkwind.
> Or is Nik calling himself HW there thinking the real HW won't find out?

This is "Nik Turner's 'Hawkwind'" which is the name Nik originally went
on tour to the States with.  Unfortunately the publicity people
consistently forgot to add the "Nik Turner's" bit and announced it as
"Hawkwind" with Nik Turner (I think!).    Maybe the same sort of thing
happened in Japan although it is most interesting to see that none of
Pressurehed  - or indeed anyone else - gets a mention.    This makes it
the closest to a genuinely re-constituted Hawkwind that has been created
so far.   Probably Japan is the only place he'd have got away with it -
and given that the genuine Hawkwind will almost certainly never tour
there it's the closest to live Hawkwind that most Japanese fans will
probably ever get.   Which was probably his raison d'etre (or whatever)
for doing it I'd guess.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk