HW: NiXtar - Nikwind

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Fri Apr 12 02:15:25 EDT 1996

Si replies...

> >Despite being a founding member, and a songwriter for a half-dozen or so
> >classic HW tracks, I don't see Nik's musical contribution as being much more
> >than an 'effect', ie., a single extra layer of sound over top of the basic
> >rhythms below...in that context, his sax/flute plays no more role in the
> >sound as Simon House's violin or Blake's/Harvey's synth lines or
> >Moorcock's/Calvert
> >'over the top' ranting (vocals other than standard verses, that is).  (Could
> >there then, also be a legitimate 'Housewind' or 'Blakewind' -I don't think s

>IMHO this is hugely underestimating Nik's role in Hawkwind. I am not a big Nik
> fan but I feel he should get credit for a bit more then a few songs and sound
> effects. Saying his role was simular to House or Blake is very unfair. He had
> a major input into the bands sound(IMHO).

Yeah, I'd agree with this, I think, because as I clearly stated, I was only
referring to his 'musical contribution'....and he certainly had significant
'behind the scenes' - type influence into the direction/evolution of the early
sound.  So, yeah, he warrants more 'consideration' than some others due to that
fact, but my argument is solely about what it takes to represent Hawkwind music
either on stage or record.  And then, about the legalities of using the name,
it gets into another territory as well.  And whether you think it was fair for
him to be booted out unceremoniously or not (I'll not get into this at all),
the bottom line is...he hasn't been in the band (full-time) for 20 years now.
And it isn't like HW/HL has ever really been put to sleep for any significant
length of time during that stint, such that there could be any debate who
they were......

Keith H.

P.S. Now, I'm really done...I mean it this time....  :)