HW: That HW Sound

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Fri Apr 12 10:03:00 EDT 1996

>You know, I was thinking about *why* it is that Brockwind still sounds
>like Hawkwind to me, even when their current incarnation doesn't
>really play in a style that I like all that much.  (Mostly ambient,
>not often enough instersperced with tight, hard-driven rockers).  And
>I think it boils doen to this: Dave's guitar.

>Steve

Steve, no doubt that Dave's guitar is a very big part, along with his
distinctive vocals.   I was listening to the Cleveland New Year's HW Cover
Concert (thanks, Scott!) and these guys were trying to imitate HW as best
they could and did HW covers.  For the most part they did well, but the
synths and other space noises were "wrong."   That was the real shocker,
that the HW space sound is hard to get right.   For me there is something
about the way HW gets their ambience  and atmosphere that is distinctive.
  Even if you don't like the ambient stuff, it is different enough that you
can recognize the source as HW.   So I'm going to add that Dave has some
concept of the atmospherics that  is just as distinctive.

Rudy
Rudy