your mail

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Fri Apr 12 10:54:11 EDT 1996

> Hawkwind really stopped sounding like Hawkwind when Simon King was fired and
> Brock became a part-time guitarist, imo that is, anyway...

        As a confirmed "Primal Thunderist" Hawkfan, the last HWHWHWHWHW
HW album was _HotMG_.
        "What about _Warrior_!!!?"
        I hear you cry ...

        Well, Warrior was pretty cool, though I have to get into serious
schlock-SF mode to groove on the Moorcock poetry.  And after that Lemmy
was a grievious loss, though I still enjoy a lot of the Calvert material,
some of the early 80s material (I don't care how bad people hate Ron Tree,
HW is still doing better now than the early 80s), and the 80s speed metal
Hawkwind (I inlude Levitation and Live '79 in this, but not most of the
the stuff up to Chronicle was more mixed.)  _Space Bandits_ was mostly
crap, but Palace Springs and California Brainstorm---ah!  this is more like
what I expect.  Not Primal Thunder, but does contain bits of the old
blanga.  The songs on _ET_ and _A4_ sound like HW.  _IITBOTF_ sounds less
like Hawkwind than _anything_ else in the catalog, IMHO.

Cheers,
Carl