HW: They did what!?!

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Fri Apr 12 11:05:42 EDT 1996

> I take back everything I said, no self respecting Hawkwind would tamper with
> "Hassan I Sabha" by inserting some ambient piece right into the middle of
> it.  Dave has strayed from the path and should be debrocked and maybe
> excomputicated.    Dave, you've got to play guitar.   The church of Hawkwind
> could be in crisis.

        The Church of Hawkwind _is_ in crisis.  The only things it has
seriously over BOC is a band which still releases albums (!) of new material
and a recently remastered and surprisingly good sounding set of early
releases.
        I was grieviously distressed by _IITBOTFTBD_, and my fears have been
somewhat allayed by _Alien 4_ on which *actual* rock music was seen to
appear.  I'm still not completely satisfied.  Until Hawkwind puts out an
album that can compete musically with _HotMG_ I won't be.  And this is
pretty unlikely looking ;)
        However, I think if one culled all the best of the new HW tracks of
the decade so far you _would_ have an album that could stand up with the
best of them.  Dave & Co. *can* still do it, but they do it without much
consistancy.

        First and foremost, Dave needs to crank that guitar up and chug ...
I think he feels embarrassed cause he's not a fabulous technical guitar
player, but frankly I wouldn't want anyone else in there but Dave chugging
away or doing the solos.  _That's_ what HW is _supposed_ to sound like!

Cheers,
Carl