HW: They did what!?!

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Fri Apr 12 14:28:01 EDT 1996

> >         The Church of Hawkwind _is_ in crisis.
>
> Mainly from fans who are stuck in the 1970's :-)

        Pffft!  If I was stuck in the 70s, I'd be to young to reach the
keyboard! ;)  When Hawkwind was recording "Silver Machine" I was still
waiting for my neck to get strong enough to hold my head up ;)

        But seriously, I have no problem with floaty ambient stuff.  I
mean, I quite like some of it, though I've mostly heard stuff from Ozricky
and Hawkwindy friends, relations, and off-shoots.  Techno, mind you, leaves
me cold for the most part--I heard the new Gong thing the other night
(good show, BTW), "Mercury" or whatever, and the heavy sequenced techno
beat on it simply made the whole piece mind-boggleingly dull.  Hey, I like
dynamics, all right? ;)

        But I simply don't think floaty ambient stuff is what HW is best
at.  I quite like the combo of spacey synths and blangoid space-rock that
Hawkwind is _capable_ of producing these days.  Some of the recent
tracks are among my favorites--I dragged _ET_ all the way across the
Atlantic primarily so I could hear "Mask of Morning" :)
        But I demand chugging guitars and mind-pummeling bass.  I demand
squalling Brock wah solos.  I demand a band made primarily of live people
and not sequencers.  From Hawkwind anyway.
        If that's stuck in the 70s, well then I don't plan on hitching
a lift out! ;)  Put me back in my crib! ;)

Cheers,
Carl