HW: NiXtar - Nikwind

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Sat Apr 13 13:11:44 EDT 1996

> > I gently point out that, when we went to see HW this past summer, Dave
> > did not TOUCH his guitar.  (Maybe for one song?)  And this is why I
> > think Nikwind sounded much more HWesque.  QED.
>
> Well, I can think of two right off: Hassan I Sabha, and Master of the
> Universe.  And I'm sure he picked it up a few more times, as well.
> But I agree, it was still not nearly enough.

        I was just listening to some of the _CA Brainstorm_ material
today, and it was _amazing_ the amount of Dave's guitar that was in
there compared to recent stuff.  At that was only in '90 ....

> And I've said it already, but I liked Nik's selection of material
> better than Dave's, too.  But when the guitars *do* come out, Dave
> is still the beating heart of the band, and nobody can match his
> sound.

        I concur, especially as the guitar tones from Pressurehed are
pretty lame IMHO.  Very dry and flat.  The bass playing on the first tour
was lame-o in comparison to Lemmy's space ritualising.  Frankly, I would
have done a better job :P  It was a bit better on the second tour, but the
bass player was still much too restrained.

> Not to mention that violins are just *cooler* than synths.  ;-)

        And violinists are cooler than sequencers.
        BTW, I was just listening to the "Yassassassassassassim" track
(or whatever ;) from Simon House on the EBS sampler and it was really
quite good.  However, it would have been _phenomenal_ with the Brock/Davey/
Chadwick team thundering behind it.  Tsk, tsk.  Other opportunity lost.

Cheers,
Carl