OFF: insurance for CDs and/or tapes ?

William Stone stone1 at IX.NETCOM.COM
Mon Apr 15 11:25:11 EDT 1996

>       My question is, does anyone here (particularly USA) have any
>       experience with insuring music collections?  I am interested in
>       the facts on insuring a large CD collection, and also insuring
>       library of live tapes.

  In short, it's a large pain in the ass.  Your live tapes would be
particularly difficult, as there is no set value. (Their legality would
also come into question.) Vinyl is a similar pain.  Cds are obviously a
lot easier, as you can use catalogs as reference to value.
  Any extensive collection will probably require an additional rider on
your homeowners/rental policy. Shop around. Different agents have
different attitudes about the subject.
  The documentation is the real toughie. Having a list of the entire
Kollection with verifiable values attached could represent a bit of
work, I'd imagine.  Good luck!

Wylie, considering building a moat around the record room.