HW:More Assembled Trivia

Andy Gilham AndyGilham at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 15 11:34:01 EDT 1996

Keith noted

>First off...Burma is now Myanmar, I think.  Secondly, I seem to have a vague
>remembrance of this being a take-off of a campy sci-fi thing (movie
>perhaps??)
>entitled 'The Eggplant that ate Calcutta'.  And then that the word
>'aubergine'
>is French for eggplant.  I'm sorry, this may be completely inaccurate - does
>this ring a bell with anyone???

There certainly was something like that, which I was trying to research for
the assembled list - but the nearest match I could find was Peter Weir's "The
Cars that Ate Paris", and I'm sure that title is itself a take-off of
something.  And I'm sure the Killer Tomatoes were derivative of it too!

BTW, re "Flight to Maputo" - it occurred to me that this might be a reference
to the death of President Samora Machel of Mozambique in a plane crash in
1986.

Still looking for explanations of Pocus (7 by 7), Honky Dorky (Hunky-Dory
[Bowie album?] + Honky + Dork???  Like, is it a pisstake of DB?), PXR5 (I'm
sure it's a metaphor for recent HW history, but "PXR5"?), just what sort of
drug is tuinol ("Lost Johnny"), Techno-Tropic Zone (que?), Social Alliance
(it's not *really* about the SDP, is it? :), Kadu (abbreviated form of
"Kathmandu" or something more profound?), "from the film", and probably loads
more besdies!

- Andy

ObTrack - "High Rise" off Turner's _Past or Future?_.  Simon House yeah!